Name server problems

Root at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU Root at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Sep 8 05:38:39 AEST 1990

Hi to all,

I have a problem related with my local nameserver configuration.
I configured the machine as secondary server caching from the registered
domain server, as follows

--------
;
;  @(#)named.boot.slave	1.13	(Berkeley)  87/07/21
;
;  boot file for secondary name server
; Note that there should be one primary entry for each SOA record.
;
;
sortlist 10.0.0.0

directory	/usr/etc/named.d

; type    domain		source host/file		backup file

cache     .			root.cache
secondary CINECA.IT    		130.186.1.194 130.186.1.53	itnsg1.bak
secondary 186.130.IN-ADDR.ARPA	130.186.1.194 130.186.1.53	itnsg1.rev.bak
primary   0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA	loopback.rev
forwarders	130.186.1.53  192.12.192.4
--------
;
;	loopback.rev  -- PTR record for 127.1 (itnsg1.cineca.it)
;

@	IN	SOA	itnsg1.cineca.it    root.itnsg1.cineca.it    (
			        1.2     ; Serial
                                43200   ; Refresh 3 hours
                                3600    ; Retry   1 hour
                                360000  ; Expire  100 hours
                                86400 )  ; Minimum 24 hours

itnsg1.cineca.it	IN	A	130.186.1.194
localhost.cineca.it.	IN	A	127.0.0.1
			IN	NS	itnsg1.cineca.it
;
1	IN	PTR	localhost.
--------

The defualt domain name is stored in /usr/etc/resolv.conf wich
contains only one line:

--------
domain  cineca.it
--------

Everything works well with this configuration, except for one thing.
Our domain is very wide, in fact covering all the North-East side of
Italy and we are a little university away from the central site.
For strange administrative reasons we cannot act as a sub-domain.
Frequently we need to connect local machines to the net for some time
(demonstrations from vendors, tests and so on) and would like to tell
our domain server (the local one) to recognize those machines without
asking every time to the central site to put their names into the database.
Putting the names in /etc/hosts won't help.

So the question is the following:

Is there any way to put local information in the local server database?

Any hint is welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance,
	- valter