Mouse cleaning

David R. Blythe drb at eecg.toronto.edu
Sat Sep 22 10:32:03 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep17.170954.12509 at agora.uucp> tima at agora.uucp (Tim Anderson) writes:
><problems with optical mouse sticking to the pad (Pepsi Syndrome) and
> scratching the opti-pad deleted...>
>
>And the tech-support hotline laughed at me when I stated that I'd rather
>have a mechanical mouse!
>
>Granted that when the opticals run they run better.
>
>Unfortunately in the 'real' world we have
>to deal with things like DUST, HAIR, COFFEE, COKE, dropping books on
>that stupid opti-pad, etc, etc

The mouse that comes with a DECstation seems to be a good compromise between
optical and mechanical-ball mice.  It is mechanical with two little button
thingys that hang down from the bottom that do something magical (sorry
I don't really know how it works).  Its seems to track quite well. Anyway it
has no felt pads nor rubber ball to clean, but it does however to work a
little better and avoids scratching the desk top if you use it with a rubber
or cloth pad.  Its made by Hawley.
	drb