Finding the Ethernet card arp address

randy frank randy at tessa.iaf.uiowa.edu
Wed Apr 3 03:52:09 AEST 1991

Hello,
	I recently set up a time lock software system based on the
first four bytes from /etc/sysinfo.  Now I find that the new GTX boxes
on our net have the same four bytes and differ only by the latter data.
(The scheme worked very well when we had PIs).  What I need now is a
unique identifier for each system that is less than 8 bytes long.  I
figured I would use the arp address of the ethernet card in the box
but I can't seem to find the proper routine to extract this piece of
information.  If you can help please Email me a short code segment
illustrating the proceedure.

thanks in advance,

--
rjf.
Randy Frank, Engineer                       |  (319) 335-6712