MIPS R-4000 chip

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Sat Feb 9 07:26:16 AEST 1991

I didn't see the announcement.  Is this chip ECL?

Re others' comments on the MIPS R-6000 chip and the possibility of its
ever being in an Iris, my salesman told me last summer that SGI expects not
to ever put an ECL CPU in a workstation, and the R-6000 is ECL.  This
conversation was not covered by non-disclosure.

Now (1) he could have been wrong or misinformed;  or (2) things could change;
but barring these I have to assume this is the case.  (This is in response
to recent conversation here wondering whether there might be an R-6000-based
Iris in the near future.)

	-P.
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin at cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***