exabyte record size limit

Jeremy Webber jeremy at cs.adelaide.edu.au
Sun Feb 10 16:44:01 AEST 1991

Hi all,

FYI, I did some performance tests on an Exabyte connected to a Sun 4/280 some
years ago, and found that transfer rate was maximized for transfers of 64K.
That is, transfers below that block size were substantially slower, and
transfers above that block size showed no noticable gain.

Very small transfers also seemed to use more *tape* than larger transfers.  I'm
not sure why.  1K blocks got less than half the storage on the tape that 64K
blocks did.

All block sizes were multiples of 1K.

	-jeremy
Jeremy Webber			   ACSnet: jeremy at chook.ua.oz
Digital Arts Film and Television,  Internet: jeremy at chook.ua.oz.au
3 Milner St, Hindmarsh, SA 5007,   Voicenet: +61 8 346 4534
Australia			   Papernet: +61 8 346 4537 (FAX)