MOPAC compilation problems/vector directives

Joe Leonard jle at Stardent.COM
Fri Feb 8 01:24:39 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan31.103637.1344 at urz.unibas.ch>, doelz at urz.unibas.ch writes:

> I get WARNINGS while trying to compile it with PFA and -mp for multiple
> processors, because there are two statements:
>
> C$DOIT  with several arguments
> C$DOUT  VBEST
>
> If I edit them out, the warnings disappear.

These are vector compiler directives used by Stardent.  Any C$DOUT in the code
is a typo, which should be C$DOIT.  While it might be reasonable to remove
other-vendor compiler directives on a case-by-case basis, this would be a
dangerous (and tiring :-) habit when dealing with multi-platform codes such
as GAUSSIAN.  I've come across several "styles" of compiler directives:

	C$DOIT		Stardent
	C$DIR		Convex, Stardent (Alliant?)
	CDIR$		Cray
	C!MF!		Multiflow
	C$???		Sequent (and SGI, of course)

I thought the reason a C appears as the first letter in each directive is so
they'll appear as comments (i.e. ignored) except when read by the appropriate
compiler.

Joe Leonard
Computational Chemist
Stardent Computer
jle at Stardent.COM
Ph. (508) 369-7666 x529
fax (508) 371-7414

Disclaimer: Usual stuff, and these opinions probably aren't even mine on
	    weekends, holidays and Monday mornings...