sudo (where to get it)

YATES, JOHN H. YATES at C.CHEM.UPENN.EDU
Sat Feb 16 03:21:00 AEST 1991

I am being overwhelmed with responses of where to get it or where do
I get it and what about security. Here are some (thanks to everyone)
of the more relevant responses. I got it from Boulder, but won't have
time to build it and test it until next week. John

From:	IN%"markm at bit.UUCP" 14-FEB-1991 22:40

You should still be able to get it on boulder.colorado.edu, but
I think it is also on titan.rice.edu or gatekeeper.dec.com as sa-book.
I can send you a copy if you like.  I do not use Evi's sudo as it is a
bit too much and one I wrote a long time ago suffices (it even supports
the concept of per-machine restriction lists).  Anywho, let me know
if you cannot find it and I will send it to you (complete with the
correct version of sudo() which fixes a glaring security hole in the
book -- hint, it notifies about bad commands by returning the command
string vie email).

cheers!
--mark
+--------------------------------+-----------------------+-------------------+
| Mark Morrissey                 | ...bit!markm          | Saving the world  |
| Unix Systems Administrator     | bit!markm at cse.ogi.edu | from the evils of |
| Bipolar Integrated Technology  | (503) 629-5490        | unacceptably slow |
| Beaverton, OR  97006           |                       | microprocessors.  |
+--------------------------------+-----------------------+-------------------+

From:	IN%"tonytran at EBay.Sun.COM" 15-FEB-1991 02:45
You can always find it on anon. ftp server colorado.edu
Here is the read me:

This directory contains the source code for the programs listed as
appendices in the "Unix System Administration Handbook".  Both the
individual files and a compressed tar archive of them are included;
take some or the archive file, as needed.  These scripts and
programs have not been tested since they were removed from their
formatted form in the text of the handbook, so use them at your
own risk.  No warranty implied or expressed.  Please send
fixes/suggestions/additions to sa-book at boulder.Colorado.EDU.  Enjoy!

	Evi, Garth, and Scott

App Topic 				filenames
--- ----------------            	------------
ALL compressed tar archive		sa-book.tar.Z
A*  sudo    				sudo/*
B*  adduser script 			adduser
C*  rmuser script 			rmuser
E*  tout    				tout/*
F*  dumdum  				dumdum
G*  lostfile    			lostfile
H*  Mkfl.localsys  			Makefile.localsys
I*  spacegripe  			spacegripe
J*  sendmail.cf 			sendmail.cf
N*  remote				remote.c
O*  distributed conrol 			distrib/*
P*  hosts and name server		makerevhosts
Q*  xargs				xargs/*

   Good luck,

   Tony Tran
   Sun Micro Systems

From:	IN%"sater at cs.vu.nl"  "Hans van Staveren" 15-FEB-1991 03:07

Sudo might be great, but to perform file system dumps you need not
be superuser. You need to be in group operator.

From:	IN%"jpl at allegra.att.com" 15-FEB-1991 07:59

Look on boulder.colorado.edu (using anonymous ftp).
Evi Nemeth assured me that the security hole I reported
had been fixed on the version that is now there.
I still don't use it, but I don't mind typing the
superuser password now and again.

From:	IN%"hall at bond.crim.ca" 15-FEB-1991 08:41

	try cs.boulder.edu in the directory sa-book (I think). This is
	an anonymous ftp site which has all the programs in the book.
	BTW it really does not works as well as it should but it is easy
	to modify it.

--
Ron Hall                | Centre de recherche informatique de Montreal (CRIM)
OS Analyst              | 3744 rue Jean-Brillant, bureau 500