Media/Write errors.....

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Sat Feb 16 14:38:54 AEST 1991

In <9102151454.AA01241 at solomon.squibb.com> zilaitis at SOLOMON.SQUIBB.COM writes:

| Hi,
|
| I placed a call to sgi but since they are not under any
| obligation to reply within (what I would calculate as) a
| reasonable amount of time maybe someone out there can tell me
| if I should be worried:
|
| extracted from SYSLOG
|
| Feb 13 16:26:22 solomon unix: dks0d1s0 (/): Media error: No addr
| mark found in ID field. Block #94472 (129248)
| Feb 13 16:26:22 solomon unix: dks0d1s1: Swap out failed
| blkno 0x17108 (page still in memory)
|
| Feb 14 10:46:23 solomon unix: dks0d1s0 (/): Media error: No addr mark
| found in ID field. Block #3735 (5805)
| Feb 14 10:46:23 solomon unix: dks0d1s0 (/): Write error.
| Filesystem on device is corrupted: unmount and check it.
|

| I ran standalone,  fx (read-only)
| excersize,sequential  did not find any errors
|
| have not had any more errors.... (fingers crossed?)

Yes.  Both of these errors were on writes, so they might not
be found by a readonly exercise.  From the error message,
it looks like you are running 3.2 (it reports the partition #
incorrectly, but the block #'s are correct; the first block
# is partition relative, the second is relative to block 0 on
the drive).

For the swap area, run a wr-cmp exercise pass, since there is
nothing to lose.  For the block in the root partition, you
could try running multiple rd-cmp passes to see if it finds
the problem, but you may be stuck with backing up your whole
system, and running a wr-cmp pass, if the problem can't be
found with reads, and keeps occuring.
--

	Dave Olson