Fx limitations

Chris Leowski epas at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 28 02:13:16 AEST 1991

Hi there.

	I am trying to format a Sabre VI IPI-2 disk on a 4D/320 with
623 defects.  The problem is that fx seems to have a limit of 597 bad
blocks.  Does anyone know of a way to extend the number of bad blocks
that fx can handle.  I know that the Sabre VI is not supported by SGI,
but how can you resist 2.5 gigabytes of storage on one device. :-)

Three related questions:

   1)   Does anyone know how many sectors we should be telling fx that
	this drive has?  84 seems to work when we formatted 20 cyls,
	but the drive's data sheet doesn't tell us what it should be.

   2)   Should we be answering yes to skew or slip sectoring for this
	drive?  I'm not really shure what effect these would have.

Thanks in advance.

----
Adam Iles - EPAS Computing, University of Toronto
	    adam at epas.utoronto.ca
	    adam at epas.toronto.edu	(take your choice both should work :-)