lp spooler and PostScript

Steve Belle belle at skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 1 03:49:49 AEST 1991

In article <763 at skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>, I wrote:

> I have encountered a curious problem.  One of our guys here has, on
> a Personal Iris, some image files in the SGI rgb format.  He wants
> hardcopy of these images.  We have a Tek Phaser PX color printer.
> I thought I had read that the lp spooler knew how to handle
> the rgb formats.  When the image.rgb file is sent to the printer
> through lp, the image comes out on paper, but it is not in color.
> I converted the .rgb file to a color postscript file and sent
> the image.ps file through lp.  This results in a strange header
> page coming out of the printer.  It appears that the lp spooler
> corrupted the file so that the printer did not recognize it as
> PostScript.  I tried cat-ing the file and redirecting to the
> printer device, and this worked; the color picture was printed.

  After receiving some helpful mail that suggested I check out the
  "FILTER" entry in the printer driver file located in
  /usr/spool/lp/interface.  Unfortunately, I found no such entry
  in the printer driver file.  Is it possible that the wrong
  driver is being used?  As I said before, the printer is a
  Tektronix Phaser PX.  Does anyone else have this model of
  printer connected to an SGI machine?  I would like to try a printer
  driver that is known to work elsewhere.

  Thanks for any help.

  Steve Belle
  PRC