Help on Mult-user mode install.

Peter Silva aspgpas at cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA
Tue Feb 19 08:04:37 AEST 1991

SGI mini root Gurus, help !

I help manage a network of workstations, and we would like to make it
as easy as possible to re-install them.  We took the SGI supplied mini-root
and got it to install the software/disk/network configuration we want.
The user currently shuts down the station, and goes to the PROM level:

>>boot

numbers, etc...

sash: cp -b 16k bootp()daisy:/dist/miniroot dksc(0,1,1)

many dots pass...

sash: boot -f dksc(0,1,1)unix

A miracle occurs...

The user goes to lunch, while the installation runs.
I noticed the nvram command is new at 3.3.  We already
have a special, menu-driven account for doing userish changes (adding printers,
etc...).  I'd like to add a "Re-install Workstation" option, the body of which,
would be something like:

#!/bin/sh
swap -d  /dev/dsk/dks0d0s1  # make some space for the miniroot.
rcp INSTALL at daisy:/dist/miniroot /dev/dsk/dks0d1s1

nvram root dksc(0,1,1)
nvram swap dksc(0,1,1)
nvram swaplo 30000
/etc/reboot
^D

I tried that script literally, and all it did was reboot normally :-(
The values of root,swap,etc... were reset to nothing, (as they had been
before I started.)

My questions are:

	1.  The nvram(1M) man page says that what variables are non-volatile,
	    etc... is stored where varies from model to model.  I deal with
	    CDC 910-437 (SGI 4D/25?), CDC 910-430 (4D/20?), and
	    CDC 910-460 (4D/35 ?) stations... (The CDC numbers are right,
	    The Iris numbers are guesses).

	    Could someone tell me how the variables work on those machines?
	    It would be nice to hear about 920-254 (4D/240)'s as well.

	2.  If I've got it wrong,  Is there another way to do what I'm
	    trying to do?

I hope this is clear enough...   Ideas ?

--
Peter Silva			OS Support
psilva at cid.aes.doe.ca		Dorval Computing Centre