help booting 4D50

John H. Wadsworth wadswort at babss.UUCP
Fri Feb 1 04:31:34 AEST 1991

In article <1328 at b1.babss.UUCP> wadswort at babss.UUCP () writes:
>We have a 4D50 SGI box but nobody here knows how to boot it.
> .....  text deleted ....

Thanks to everyone who replied with help in booting this beast.
Most responces were try help, auto, warm, etc. The problem turned out
to be the enviromental variables were wrong. Once set, it booted right
up.

I thought that would be the end of the problem. Silly me! I thought it
would be simple enough to figure out how to boot single user and clear
the passwords. Silly me again! I'm a Sun/bsd guy so I'm lost if
something like boot -s doesn't work. ;-)

And so I ask for help again. I seem to remember a discussion a while
back about what to do when you've lost the root password. Did anyone
save it? Does's anyone have any ideas? I can boot sash and symmon but
I don't know where to go from there.

Please call 1-800-677-8549 or write me at {uunet or yale}!babss!wadsworth