Optical Disk Drives

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Thu Feb 28 14:48:10 AEST 1991

In <9102271109.aa18768 at TBD2.BRL.MIL> jac at BRL.MIL ("John A. Condon", TBD|BDB) writes:

| Hi,
|
| Does anyone out there including Dave Olson from SGI, have detailed
| info on the Maxtor Tahiti Optical Disk Drive for an Iris 4D-80GTB.

You can contact Storage Dimensions (a Maxtor subsidiary) in San Jose,
Calif. for a list of their distributors.

They package the drive in an external enclosure with fan and power
supply.  These drives (all the M-O drives, that is) suffer badly
if the ambient temperature at the drive goes over 40 deg. C,
so putting them inside a PI or a 4D tower is a recipe for a dead drive.
Most of the 4D machines run ~45 deg C in the drive areas, sometimes
even warmer.
--

	Dave Olson