Problem mounting an NFS filesystem

David Hinds dhinds at portia.Stanford.EDU
Fri Feb 8 16:52:44 AEST 1991

This is probably something stupid, but I can't find anything helpful in the
manual and I think I've wasted enough of my time on it.  I've just finished
installing NFS (3.3 with the 3.3.1 update) on an Iris 4D/240 and a Personal
Iris, to use the 4D/240 as a server for the PI.  The installation went OK.
I followed the instructions in the NFS User's Guide for starting NFS on a
running system (i.e., I started nfsd and exportfs), and that seemed OK.  I
put one line in the /etc/exports file on the server:

	/usr cb-iris2.stanford.edu

where cb-iris2 is the host name of the PI.  Now, the manual says all I need
to do to mount the file system on the PI is to create an empty directory
(I called it /usr/mount), and do something like:

	mount -o soft,bg cb-iris:/usr /usr/mount

where cb-iris is the server's host name.  But this fails; mount says:

	mount: cb-iris:/usr on /usr/mount: Invalid argument
	mount: giving up on:
	   /usr/mount

I tried the tests in the User's Guide to remotely check if the nfs daemons
were accessable, and they seem OK.  On cb-iris2, "showmount -e cb-iris"
says:

	export list for cb-iris:
	/usr cb-iris2.stanford.edu

So, what am I missing here?