shared custom icons

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Thu Feb 28 05:39:26 AEST 1991

In article <9102262001.AA10384 at scripps.edu>, jwk at SCRIPPS.EDU (John Kupec) writes:

|> 3 NFS'ed irises- no NIS or automount. User icons in B:/usr/local/lib/faces.
|> Irises A & C use icons from B via soft link to faces directory on B
|> (B:/usr mounted on A & C).
|>
|> This setup works fine UNLESS machine B is down.  Then, trying to login
|> on console sends pandora(?) into an infinite loop on A & C when trying
|> to access the unavailable custom icons.  It seems logical enough to only
|> want one set of icons- how to accomplish?

That's what we do here at SGI.  A large proportion of the systems on our
internal network nfs mount a /usr/local/lib/faces directory from one system.

Most people mount this system somewhere under /n and use a symbolic link from
/usr/lib/faces. For example I have the faceserver:/ mounted at /n/faceserver.
Then I have a symbolic link from /n/faceserver/usr/local/lib/faces to
/usr/lib/faces.

When the face server is down (which is rarely) Pandora shows its default
sketch of a user.  I have never experienced the problem you describe.

--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"Spirits of genius are always opposed by mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein