weird interaction between 4sight and the dns resolver.

Jesse Rendleman jesse at camelot.sgi.com
Fri Feb 15 03:22:00 AEST 1991

In article <44593 at nigel.ee.udel.edu> tom at cis.udel.edu (tom) writes:
< description of dns/4sight problems >

Our window server requires the following four lookups to succeed,
(assume "bob" is your machine name, and 1.2.3.4 is its IP address)

1) nslookup localhost
2) nslookup bob
3) nslookup -q=ptr 127.0.0.1
4) nslookup -q=ptr 1.2.3.4

If any fail, the setup files on the nameserver(s) you point to need to
be adjusted.

As of Irix 3.3, my favorite workaround to this problem is to put:

    hostresorder local bind

before the nameservers in your resolv.conf file.  This causes your
local /etc/hosts file to be searched (where you can keep definitions
for localhost and "bob") before dns.  More info on this feature can
be found in the resolver(4) man page.