Question bru-ing again!!

Jeremy Higdon jeremy at perf2.asd.sgi.com
Thu Feb 14 18:31:46 AEST 1991

In article <9102122035.AA22599 at igor.tamri.com>, sissi at IGOR.TAMRI.COM (Sissi Tchehrazi) writes:

> 	Can someone explain this phenomenon to me please?
>

> 		mt fsf (advances my 8mm tape one file)
>
> 			at this point I will like to write a new file
>
> 		bru -cvf /dev/nrtape (8mm is linked to tape size=0K ..)
> 				result:
> 		bru: Warrning Input/Output Error
> 		bru: load volume 1 and enter ....
>
> 	but if at this point I do a:
>
> 		mt feom (which is not what I really want)
>
> 				then
>
> 		bru -cvf /dev/nrtape works fine!!!
>
> 	Why this behavior, and how can I simply advance a file and write a
> 	new file (without going to EOD) to my 8mm tape using bru?

The 8mm distinguishes between the top and bottom of a filemark.  Now
the 8mm can write from BOT, bottom of filemark, and EOD.  So to do
what you want,

		mt fsf
		mt bsf
		mt weof		(Assuming you still want separate files)
		bru -cvf ...

Realize that all data after a write is generally lost (if you're lucky, you
can still get at part of it on the 8mm, but it is unpredictable).