Why was mail_bsd(1) changed?

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Sat Feb 2 06:29:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan24.185356.13375 at alias.uucp> mark at alias.uucp (Mark Andrews) writes:

>... in your version of Berkeley mail, you have made 'R' and 'r' equivalent
>with 'Ra' or 'ra' replacing 'r'. Why was it changed? I prefer it the way it
>is, and would like it changed back if possible.

I'd go further.  The Iris man page describes the original Berkeley way of doing
things:  R->sender, r->all recipients.  This has never worked on my machine.
There is no mention of ra.  I just tried it and it does work.  So I'm rather
peeved that not only did they change the interface; they also didn't tell us
that they changed it, and didn't tell us at all that a functionality that I,
at least, used to use all the time, is in fact, still available.

This is a 4d25tg running 3.2.1.

	-P.
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin at cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***