/usr/people

Bill Silvert silvert at cs.dal.ca
Thu Feb 21 12:09:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb20.200913.5623 at cs.olemiss.edu> tony at tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) writes:
>In article <9102130954.aa03988 at TBD2.BRL.MIL> glennrp at BRL.MIL (Glenn Randers-Pehrson, TBD|WMB) writes:
>>
>> > From: steve at CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder)
>> > I just noticed by accident today that /usr/people is owned by guest !?!?
>> > This doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Shouldn't it be owned by root?
>> > drwxr-xr-x  10 guest    guest        512 Feb 12 12:24 people
>
>Well, you could easily get this by making the new user by hand.  This is
>the steps to take to make this mistake: You gotta be root!

I got my 4D/25 yesterday with guest and 4Dgifts already installed and
indeed /usr/people was owned by guest.  It came that way.

Could be worse.  We recently got a Stardent with permissions 777 on most
of the directories in the /usr partition.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
BITNET=bill%biomel%dalcs at dalac	InterNet=bill%biomel at cs.dal.ca