preventing core dumps

Glen Ecklund glen at meteor.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 22 06:18:24 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb20.200617.12807 at meteor.wisc.edu> glen at meteor.wisc.edu (Glen Ecklund) writes:
>Is there any way to prevent core dumps from being generated?
>dbx generated a 60Mb core dump yesterday, filled up the disk, and crashed
>the system.
>
>I'm running Irix 3.2 on a 4D 220S.
>
>Thanks
>--
>Glen Ecklund				glen at meteor.wisc.edu
>Department of Meteorology               (608) 262-3086
>University of Wisconsin, Madison

I've received several responses (thanks to all).  There have been 2
main suggestions:

1)  limit coredumpsize
    Unfortunately, we don't have limit on 3.2

2)  create an empty core file and make it non-writeable.
    Good idea when one is expecting such a problem, but I'd like a
    solution which most of our naive users could have in their .cshrcs
    and not think about it.  (OK, we could alias mkdir to create a
    nonwriteable core file in the new directory)

Someone did indicate that later releases have limit.  I guess that's
another thing we can do when we find the money to upgrade.
Glen Ecklund				glen at meteor.wisc.edu