chown/chgrp broken-ness?

Lee A. Butler butler at BRL.MIL
Sat Feb 9 11:42:48 AEST 1991

On an Iris 4D, running OS 4D1-3.3, as root (su'ed) I type:

	chown -R username.groupname directory

to which I get the response:

	chown: you are not a member of group <groupname>.

just for grins, I do:

	chown -R username directory

(which works fine).  Since I have access to the particular account in
question, I Then log in as the user (with login group same as indicated by
"groupname" above) and type

	chgrp -R groupname directory

and get a response of:

	chown: you are not a member of group <groupname>.

Now I will admit that neither root nor <username> are listed in /etc/group
against <groupname>.  I will argue that:

	A) root should be able to chown/chgrp a file any which way.
	B) a user should be able to chgrp a file to the login group.

Lee A. Butler
SLCBR-VL-V					Internet: butler at brl.mil
Ballistic Research Laboratory			   Phone: (301) 278-9200
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005-5066