Problems with emacs on IRIS under X

Michael Gold gold at sgi.com
Sat Feb 23 23:10:33 AEST 1991

   g> I am having trouble getting a version of emacs 18.57 built on an SGI
   g> Personal IRIS running IRIX 3.2.  It builds fine, and starts up fine
   g> (display works, it reads and successfully executes .emacs, etc.).  As
   g> soon as a key is hit, however, it dies a horrible death along the
   g> lines of:

   g> X Error of failed request:
   g>   Major opcode of failed request:  0 ()
   g>   Minor opcode of failed request:  0
   g>   Resource id in failed request:  0x0
   g>   Serial number of failed request:  65480
   g>   Current serial number in output stream:  116
   g> Fatal error (1).Hangup

   g> Has anyone already encountered, work around this problem?  Thanks,

You should read ~emacs/PROBLEMS.  I found the following there, which
worked for me.  Note that under IRIX 3.3 and emacs 18.57, this was not
necessary:

--
    Michael I. Gold	 	You go your way, I'll go mine,
    Silicon Graphics Inc.	I don't care if we get there on time,