University Donation Program from Thomson Digital Image (repeat)

Michael Takayama tak at tcela.COM
Thu Feb 21 09:26:19 AEST 1991

This is a repeat posting of the university donation offer from TDI.  Some
people apparently did not see it the first time due to strange combinations
of:  (1) posting on a Friday before a three-day weekend; (2) limited disk
space on their news server; and (3) daily or weekly auto dumping of news
files - please don't comment on this to me; we don't do these sorts of things
in *our* facility :-).

Thomson Digital Images (TDI) America is offering a special donation program
to qualified educational facilities in the U.S. and Canada interested in 3D
computer graphics/animation for Industrial Design, Scientific Visualization,
and Animation.  TDI Explore v2.3 software is a high-end workstation-based
package including sophisticated 3D modeling, animation, and rendering
capabilities.  Some features of the software include NURBS modeling, inverse-
kinematics animation, particle-system animation, interactive 3D texture
editing, fast scan-line rendering and ray-tracing.  TDI is a world leader in
the high-end 3D graphics/animation market with an installed base of more than
450 systems.

                          UNIVERSITY DONATION PROGRAM
                          ---------------------------

If you have ever thought about working with 3D, now is the time.  TDI America
will donate the EXPLORE software to universities and colleges in the United
States and Canada to give students access to the newest developments in the
world of 3D computer animation and graphics.

There are certain criteria which must be adhered to in order for a college/
university to be a successful candidate for this program:

        1.  EXPLORE must be used for research or educational projects.

        2.  The software must be made available to a minimum of 10 students
            per year.

        3.  The software must not be used for commercial purposes without
            the express written permission of TDI America.

        4.  The school must appoint one person who will act as the direct
            contact with TDI America.

        5.  A software maintenance agreement and a software license agreement
            must be signed and returned to TDI America.

Because our university donation program provides software free of charge, the
only costs involved are for maintenance (which includes a one year warranty,
telephone support and free upgrades) and training.

TDI runs on the full range of Silicon Graphics workstations and the IBM RISC
6000.  The Silicon Graphics hardware can be ordered from TDI at our educational
discount prices for your convenience.

To demonstrate your interest in our university donation program, please send
me a letter indicating your intended use of the software, what workstation(s)
you have or would like to purchase, and your time frame.  I will be happy to
put together a price proposal for you, to arrange for a demo, and to discuss
with you the applications of our software for your school.

I look forward to speaking with you about EXPLORE and our donation program.

Sincerely,

Karen Lazar
Director, University Donation Program
TDI America

For more information, contact:

                   Karen Lazar
                   Director, University Donation Program
                   TDI America
                   1270 Avenue of the Americas
                   Suite 508
                   New York, NY 10020
                   TEL:  212/247-1950
                   FAX:  212/247-1957

Michael Takayama                                      email:  tak at tce.com
Technical Support Manager
TDI America

"Mon Dieu, deja vu!" - The forgotton French time traveller

Disclaimer:  This reflects the opinion of my employer, not necessarily mine!