wtmp query

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 19 06:10:38 AEST 1991

I am still rather new to System-V-based Unices....  Can someone explain to
me what the following entries -- which appear when I issue the "last" command
-- mean?

Of course, I do know what rlogin is, but I don't understand why it appears
in wtmp, since it's a process, not a user-id.  There is a man entry for rc2,
but not for the others, except rlogin.  Why do these appear in wtmp, when they
are not users?  (Under BSD, "shutdown" and "reboot" appear, which is also
logically inconsistent, but is at least self-explanatory.)

Occasionally I have some trouble with my system, and I find myself wondering
whether that trouble could be related to these strange entries.

Either an answer or a pointer to some manual would be appreciated.

diald                  Tue Feb 12 16:59 - 16:59  (00:00)
rc2                    Tue Feb 12 16:56 - 16:59  (00:02)
lnsyscon               Tue Feb 12 16:56 - 16:56  (00:00)
conslog   console      Fri Feb 15 17:28   still logged in
rlogin    ttyq1        Sat Feb 16 16:14 - 16:14  (00:00)

Thanks,
	-P.
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin at cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***