batch control

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Tue Feb 5 05:10:58 AEST 1991

In article <9102031532.AA15085 at poly1.nist.gov>, rbriber at POLY1.NIST.GOV writes:

> were wondering if it would solve our problem.  Our users would like to be
> able to start a job in the background and then logoff (or close the window

NQS is a product which will do that. Ask your SGI sales rep about it.

> that started the job on the graphics console) and then at some later time,
> log back in and reset the priorities of that job (for example, stop it
> temporarily and the start it back up).  It seems that once you close the shell

Regardles of the mechanism you used to push it to the background, you can send
kill -STOP tp the pid of interest and kill -CONT to continue again.
If its not your process, you must be root.
Dont forget to start the process with nohup(1) if you dont use nqs, otherwise
it might die if you close the window.

> that started a given job the only communication you can have with that job
> (from another session) is to kill it.  We talked to the hotline about being
> able to temporarily stop and then restart the job from another window
> and then restart it (sort of like ^z and then %% from the parent window) but
> it doesn't seem possible.  We have a 4D80GT running 3.3.1.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

You could also use a process prioritizer which is a cron of the root.
This one will npri to a non-degrading priority beyond eden. However, if
you have a very large job, keep in mind that your memory stays blocked.
You might need to increase your swpap space to succeed.

Maybe this helps,

Regards,
Reinhard