f77 and -static option

Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB blbates at aero36.larc.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 25 23:56:40 AEST 1991

   I don't use -static all the time, just when I need it.  If I want to
return to a routine and have the values of variables from previous calls
remain the same between calls, I use -static.  I have found, most of the
time painfully, that when porting sources from one machine to another that
sometimes the original machine had used static variable as the default and
when I ported to a machine that didn't have this it gave me problems.  I
don't consider having to use -static as "buggy".  It is just a matter of what
you are trying to do and how you wish to do it.

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center
	M.S. 361
	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225