bru backups excluding some directories?

Stuart Levy slevy at poincare.geom.umn.edu
Thu Feb 7 05:05:43 AEST 1991

I'm trying to make a full bru filesystem backup, but excluding a few
directories like /tmp, /usr/tmp, /usr/adm/crash, etc.  It's easy with GNU tar,
but I'd like to make the tape be directly readable from the recovery system.

It's tempting to try

   find / /usr -mount -print | egrep -v ... | bru ... -

but bru's man page suggests this won't work -- 'find' will find all directories
*and* all files, and bru will traverse all the directories it's given,
so everything will be backed up >= 2 times.

A better approximation could be

   find / /usr -mount -type d -o -print | egrep -v ... | bru ... -

This gets all files, sym links, &c exactly once, and bru promises to
archive the directories that contain them.  But directories that happen to
be empty at the time -- /usr/spool/mqueue, /usr/preserve, filesystem mount
points etc. -- won't be re-created when the archive is restored.
Neither will the excluded directories.

Has anyone come up with a good way to get bru to do this?

Thanks in advance...

	Stuart Levy, Geometry Group, University of Minnesota
	slevy at geom.umn.edu