RCS question

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Mon Feb 11 13:33:21 AEST 1991

shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) writes:

	rcsdiff error, line 2: Missing access list

This occurs when RCS version 3 (supplied in IRIX 3.2.1) tries to read RCS files
generated by RCS version 4.

	What can I do to make these newer RCS files compatible with SGI's RCS?

You can work around the problem by deleting each RCS file's second line, which
should start with the word "branch".

If you often exchange RCS files with other software developers, you might
consider switching to RCS version 5, which not only reads the older file
formats, but also normally writes RCS files in a format that older RCS versions
can read.  RCS 5 is available via anonymous FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu in
pub/gnu/rcs-5.5.tar.Z and pub/gnu/diff-1.15.tar.Z.

I think SGI is now upgrading to RCS version 4 and will eventually upgrade to
RCS version 5.