getty errors. For Kenny McDonald...

Claude.P.Cantin at nrc.CA Claude.P.Cantin at nrc.CA
Fri Feb 15 04:19:27 AEST 1991

I have tried to reply to Kenny McDonald (c60244 at ccfiris.aedc) but
mail sent to him keeps comming back to me!!!

Subject:      Re: GETTY error
To:           Kenny McDonald <c60244 at ccfiris.aedc>

Kenny,

We had similar "problems" here.  It was caused by people
using "nohup program.name &", then logging off...  Then those error
messages would start (ttyd45 if nohup was started from that port, etc).

SOOOOOOoooo I convinced my users to use "batch" instead to send
programs.  "batch" is MUCH better to use than "nohup" because:

   1. any output is sent to you via mail.

   2. it is much more efficient:  it runs at a lower priority than
      interactive jobs, so interactive users are NOT penalized.

   3. You can control the number of jobs running by changing
      the queue configuration files in /usr/lib/cron/queuedefs.
      You can also change the "nice" priority of the queues.

   4. This has worked very well in here.  When a large job (larger
      than a few minutes) is processed, "batch" is always used.
      (a few tried to do it in interactive mode, but "got caught"!).

Hope this helps,

     Claude Cantin
     National Research Council of Canada