MIPS R6000 wanted !

Conrad Huang conrad at cgl.ucsf.edu
Fri Feb 1 11:47:25 AEST 1991

robert at texas.asd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) writes:
>[ ... ]
>The IBM R6000 uses a propriety RISC cpu.  The cpu is not made by MIPS.
     ^^^^^^^^^
You're kidding, right?  It's either a MIPS R6000 or an IBM RS6000.
The MIPS R6000 is the CPU for the MIPS RC6280 system, which runs at
60MHz or some ridiculously high number.  The IBM RS6000 is the CPU
for the IBM workstation series by the same name.

>SGI is (not surprisingly) working on a faster cpu, but I wouldn't presume
>to tell you when it might be available, even if I knew.

Do you mean that SGI is working on machines based on faster CPUs, or
that SGI is designing and/or fabricating its own CPUs?

Conrad