How do you expire YP passwords?

Kenny McDonald c60244 at ccfiris.aedc
Wed Feb 27 00:57:28 AEST 1991

I was wondering how to expire a password using YP(NIS).  When setting up a new
user ,.. can be entered in the passwd field in /etc/passwd to force the user
to create a passwd when logging in, but this fails because the user can't type
a correct Old yp passwd.  I can place a ,. at the end of a user's passwd in
order to expire it and force him to enter a new passwd the next time he logs
in, but this fails also with the following message:

couldn't change passwd
Connection closed.

My NIS master is a 4D240GTX and for now I have a 4D240GTX client and 4D25 PI
client.  The above problem occurs on both.

Any suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks.

  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
  | Kenneth M. McDonald * OAO Corp * Arnold Engineering Development Center |
  |          MS 120 * Arnold AFS, TN 37389-9998 * (615) 454-3413           |
  INTERNET:                                               OO   AA   OO
  @aedc-vax.af.mil:c60244 at ccfiris.aedc                   O  O A  A O  O
                                                         O  O AAAA O  O
  c60244 at ccfiris                                          OO  A  A  OO