hardcopy output info wanted

Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854 blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV
Thu Jan 24 23:23:41 AEST 1991

   We have a Tektronix 4693D color hardcopy device connected to our
SGI 3130, 4D/210VGX, and 4D/320VGX via centronix parallel ports.  We are
please with the results.  We save files in an ARCGraph format and then
convert it to the Tektronix format and send files to the hardcopy unit
with lpr.  This gives us good copies with the most flexability.  The
thermal wax can be scratched off, but with proper care they stay in good
condition.  If you have very dark backgrounds, transparencies tend to melt
when projected.  I have found if I only use the 3 pass (yellow, cyan,
magenta) option, they usually don't melt.  I use the 4 pass (black added)
for paper copies.
   You can get units that connect directly to the video output and get
copies of what ever is on the screen.  The quality of these units aren't
as good as what we are using.  Also you loose a lot of flexability.
Around here at Langley, a lot of people have Seiko thermal printers that
are connected to the video output and the copies they produce don't look
as good as our Tektronix copies
   The best copies I have seen came from a Kodak hardcopy unit I saw at
SIGGRAPH '89.  They almost looked like photos and the transparencies look
very durable.  At the time I think they cost about the same as the
Tektronix unit we have.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center