Projected size of disk needed for IRIX 4.0

John juancho buchanan buchanan at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 16 12:44:37 AEST 1991

Since the sad news arrived that sgi is going to x  (no it does not deserve
a capital X) I have been wondering about getting bigger disks for our
machines.  It is now impossible to install a complete IRIX os on a disk
with less than 200-250 meg.  (By complete I mean including all the files
which are needed to run the machine in stand alone mode including the
HUGE x monstrosity) We have 3 machines in the lab limping along with
170,170,and 200 respectively.  I was not able to install X on the 170 meg
machines. and I have yet so see if it will fit onto a 200 meg machine.  So
my question is what is the projected size of IRIX 4.0?

John

This from ;login: (The USENIX Association Newsletter), Sep/Oct 1990,
in a report on a Usenix Standards BOF session:

     An overheard conversation:

     "Mach was the greatest intellectual fraud in the last ten years."

     "What about X?"

     "I said `intellectual' "

|	John Buchanan (juancho)		|	buchanan at cs.ubc.ca	|
|	Imager				|	(604) 228-2218		|
|	Department of Computer Science	|===============================|
|	University of British Columbia	|	Standard disclaimer	|
|	Vancouver, BC, Canada		|	included in this	|
|					|	box, right here.	|