Another uugetty problem

R. Munroe topix at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 17 16:56:06 AEST 1991

I have a 2400 baud modem hooked up to a PI/25.  The port (I've used ttym1
and ttym2) won't accept incoming calls when uugetty is running. As a quick
fix, I have to switch between two different /etc/inittab files.  The inittab
file that allows me to dial out runs /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty on the modem port.
The other inittab file that allows me to dial in runs /etc/getty on the modem
port.  So far, this is the only way I've figured out how to set up
a port for incoming or outgoing calls.  Interesting enough, uugetty allowed
incoming and outgoing calls when I was running IRIX 3.1.  I've only
had this problem since 3.2 (and 3.3) was installed.  Any ideas as to
why I'm having trouble?

For reference:

This is the version of inittab that allows incoming calls -
t2:2:respawn:/etc/getty ttym2 du_2400

This is the version of inittab that allows outgoing calls -
t2:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty ttym2 du_2400

(Sorry if there are minor typos in the above - I'm typing from memory).

One more quick thing - when I toggle between inittab files (i.e
'ln /etc/inittab.in /etc/inittab' or 'ln /etc/inittab.out /etc/inittab')
I am changing port specifications (from uugetty to getty or vice versa).
Why doesn't 'telinit q' inform the system of the changes?  I have to explicitely
kill the current getty process in order to invoke the new one.

Thanks for any and all help.

Bob Munroe
topix at utcs.utoronto.ca