remote printing and accounting on iris(es)

Patricia Monger monger at maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
Thu Jan 10 03:46:22 AEST 1991

We have a color postscript printer that we have attached to a sgi 4/210.  this
printer is meant to be accessed by other workstations, so we wanted to use lpr
and /etc/printcap instead of lp.
We bought Transcript from sgi to do the whatever->postscript filtering for
the printer, but this software assumes we are using lp not lpr.  Then, too,
since color prints are somewhat expensive, we wanted to use the accounting
option in Transcript too.

Can someone tell me a) how to make transcript work with lpr?  or b) how to do
remote printing from suns and irises to this printer using lp?  or c) where to
get some software that does whatever->postscript filtering and accounting for
the iris and DOES run using lpr (if a) is not possible)?

thanks
Patricia Monger
CIS
McMaster University