mapcolor

David R. Blythe drb at eecg.toronto.edu
Sat Jan 19 18:42:30 AEST 1991

I am working on a interactive color map editor which likes to update the entire
subset of the color map being edited very rapidly. (e.g. when the frequency or
phase of a sinusoid is modified).  I am finding mapcolor() to be prohibitively
slow when updating 2000 or 3000 color table entries one at a time (it is
acceptable when doing only a few hundred entries).  Rather than trying to find
some way to update the whole colormap less frequently, I was hoping to find a
faster way to update large portions of the map (i.e. a gl routine to update a
contiguous subrange of the color table - even X has that :-).  Is there any
undocumented gl_xxx() routine that already does that, or perhaps someone at SGI
could be convinced to add such a routine in a future release?

	drb at clsc.utoronto.ca