3130 disk problems

XIAO Yan xiaoyan at ecf.toronto.edu
Sat Jan 19 11:43:15 AEST 1991

In article <9101181819.AA01089 at pig.drea.dnd.ca> zsd at PIG.DREA.DND.CA (Jim Diamond) writes:
>Hello:
>
>I have a 3130 with the SGI-supplied (Hitachi?) DK512-17 disk drive as
>well as a CDC 380 Mbyte drive I installed myself.
>
>The system crashed the other day and attempts to boot (off disk)
>fail with
>	SGI Extent Filesystem
>	hd.0:defaultboot: No such file or directory
>and attempts to look at the disk with the prom "ls" command return
>	SGI Extent Filesystem
>	can only ls disk or tape devices
>	bad mode for hd.0:/ (0x0)

	I have the same experience, but I was told that this error
	message is due to the head position of the harddisk, which happens
	to in a wrong position.
	I just push the reset button again, and if I
	am in auto-boot mode, then I just have to wait and system
	reboot again.

xiao
<xiaoyan at ecf.toronto.edu>