X windows

Anthony J. Persechini ajp2o at crocus.medicine.rochester.edu
Fri Jan 11 05:50:09 AEST 1991

I have been having problems figuring out how to
build an X resource database for a few applications,
and than start them, all as part of my login procedure.
If I put the commands in my user.ps, I sometimes end up with
two Xsgi processes, but cannot open any displays.
If I run the same commands after login, they work fine:
i.e,

/RestartActions [
{ (gamma 1.0) forkunix }
{ RunConsole }
{ (/usr/bin/X11/xrdb -merge /usr/people/ajp2o/.idraw) forkunix }
{ (/usr/bin/X11/xrdb -merge /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XCal) forkunix }
{ (/usr/bin/X11/xsetroot -solid deepskyblue3) forkunix }
{ (.4sight/hostchest) forkunix }
{ (.4sight/newschest) forkunix }
{ (.4sight/modelchest) forkunix }
{ (/usr/local/X11/bin/xbiff -geometry +20+167 -bg skyblue2 -fg red
-hide) forkunix }
{ (/usr/local/X11/bin/xcal -bg skyblue2 -fg midnightblue -geometry
90x25+20+289) forkunix }
] def

Sometimes fails, or perhaps only one of the rdb lines works. I have
tried
fooling with xinit and cannot get it to work for this purpose either.
If anyone who has figured out how to perform this seemingly trivial
procedure, I would appreciate hearing from you.

--
Tony Persechini
Department of Physiology