block errors, /debug gone for a walk...

Claude.P.Cantin at NRC.CA Claude.P.Cantin at NRC.CA
Thu Jan 10 11:32:45 AEST 1991

One of my users is having problems with her Personal IRIS 4D/25G, running
IRIX 3.2.3.  A while back, she got an "uncorrectable" block error.  The
block number was 7160.

The error was happening on the /usr partition, so we used "fx" to map out
the block (we used the offset of /usr + 7160 as the block number).

Now, that error has re-appeared.  Did we need to add the offset of /usr to
the original block number???????

Second question/problem:  that same system has now "lost" its "/debug"
directory!!!!!  What may have caused this??  Simple programs run fine, but
(I assume) as soon as swap space is needed, an error message appears...
Any suggestions??????  (yes, "df" does NOT show /debug!!! and yes, this is
causing MAJOR problems...   and yes, we're planning to upgrade SOON
to IRIX 3.3.1...  and yes we would like to solve those problems BEFORE the
upgrade so that we don't carry in those problems...)

Thank you very much for your help,

        Claude Cantin
        National Research Council of Canada

        cantin at vm.nrc.ca, cantin at nrcvm01.bitnet, cantin at nrccsb3.di.nrc.ca...