Bizarre occurrence

Loki Jorgenson Rm421 loki at NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA
Wed Jan 23 15:17:40 AEST 1991

	Can anyone identify this phenomenon?

	IRIS 4D/25 running IRIXv3.3.1 (all observed as non-super user)

	I was cleaning out a directory with a /bin/rm -r <directory>
command when it failed with "directory not empty".  Since this command
recursively cleans out directories *before* removing them, something
had to have appeared in mid-remove.

	I looked in the directory and saw ".nfsE5E79".  I ran "file"
on it and it turned out to be an unstripped executable.  I was about
to run "strings" on it to figure out it function, when IT DISAPPEARED!
This directory was freshly created for a simple unrelated task of
building an executable and there was no obvious connection between
this mystery file and any files manipulated within the directory.

	I don't like this much.  Anyone seen this before?  Anyone can
identify this beast?

Regards,
Loki Jorgenson              / /          \ \  node:  loki at Physics.McGill.CA
Grad, Systems Manager      / //////  \\\\\\ \ BITNET: PY29 at MCGILLA
Physics, McGill University \ \\\\\\  ////// / fax:   (514) 398-8434
Montreal Quebec CANADA      \_\          /_/  phone: (514) 398-7027