Alternatives to /usr/sbin/bindkey for window pop/push ?

Tim Monks tim at bhpmrl.oz.au
Tue Jan 8 12:54:07 AEST 1991

Is there any way of popping/pushing windows without touching the mouse ?

I have been using /usr/sbin/bindkey and the following key-bindings for a
while  :

    /usr/sbin/bindkey -l f1,push
    /usr/sbin/bindkey -l f2,pop

and have become quite accustomed to using the F1/F2 keys to toggle overlapping
windows.  It saves a lot of mousework.

I have just started using tcsh, (tcsh 5.20.02 Cornell, 240GTX, Irix 3.3.1.) and
love the command line editing.  But there is an incompatibility somewhere
between vi, tcsh and bindkey (the /usr/sbin/bindkey not, tcsh's bindkey).
If I try any command in vi which requires variable expansion, then I get
an error message.  For example, under csh the following command in vi :

	:r $tlib/abort.c

works quite happily and reads in the file /ipada/tim/tomography/abort.c
but under tcsh I get the following message :

    "^[P103;146.ypush^[\^[P103;147.ypop^[\/ipada/tim/tomography/lib/abort"
    No such file or directory

The problem is caused by /usr/sbin/bindkey, since if I remove the two lines
from my .cshrc which bind F1/F2 to window pop/push, vi under tcsh does
variable expansion quite happily.

So can anyone suggest alternative ways to bind pop/push facilities to the
F keys without breaking vi under tcsh ?

I shall post a summary of replies if warranted.
--
Dr. Tim Monks
Image Processing & Data Analysis Group   |   (direct) (+61-3)566-7448
AUSTRALIA                                |   (EMAIL)  tim at bhpmrl.oz.au