Motif & GL

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Thu Jan 3 07:18:16 AEST 1991

In article <mg.661898161 at godzilla>, mg@ (Mike Gigante) writes:
|> msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) writes:
|>
|> >Incidentally I recommend you not use the OSF/Motif toolkit.  It's a pig.
|> >Currently the minimum application size in 1 megabyte and it takes 5 seconds
|> >for the app. to start up.  We will do our best to improve those figures
|> >before 4.0 is released but it's largely out of our control.
|>
|> Just to clarify this:
|>
|> Are you saying that this is an interim problem that is likely to
|> dissapear? Or are you saying it is inherent in OSF/Motif?

I'm saying its a problem inherent in the OSF/Motif toolkit and the
folks working on it here will do their best to mitigate its impact.
Only OSF can really solve Motif's size and performance problems.  One
of our people who is noted for writing lean and super fast code was so
disgusted he was moved to write his own small toolkit for a job he had
to do.

--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"Spirits of genius are always opposed by mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein