Where does TERM get set for Telnet logins (NOT EXACTLY)

deraadt deraadt at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Fri Jan 4 18:45:42 AEST 1991

In article <79769 at sgi.sgi.com> arc at kaibab.wpd.sgi.com writes:
>  In article <79506 at sgi.sgi.com> vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com writes:
>  >In article <1991Jan1.104335 at IASTATE.EDU>, john at IASTATE.EDU writes:
>  >> ... They are not (as described above) exactly the same.  Under BSD ...
>  >
>  >To clear up any confusion among readers of the preceding thread, IRIX 3.3
>  >telnet and telnetd are very 4.3BSD-Tahoe-ish.  The modest source
>  >differences are related to implementation details of things like PTY's and
>  >SV signals.  The IRIS 4D has always had 4.3BSD networking, with a slavish
>  >but enthusiastic attitude toward BSD purity and 4.3 "diffability."  I'm one
>  >of the slaves.
>  To be precise, the IRIX 3.3 telnetd is based on the
>  4.3BSD "networking release" version and the telnet command
>  is Dave Borman's March 1990 version.
I thought that the original discussion was that login does not support the
-h flag, and that a telnetd started with a $TERM set would result in login
and telnetd providing telnetd's $TERM in the case when the correct $TERM
could not be determined.

I have no doubts that telnetd is 4.3 based. I would not want to write telnetd
from scratch and get all the nitty gritty details right (aside: I prefer the
simplicity and power of a real rlogin).

But SGI's login certainly does not appear to be derived from a BSD login
source of any kind. Boy, did I ever find that out when I tried to write
my own login for the iris's.

By the way, if anyone has a source to a login which works well on the iris,
I would *love* to get a copy. We need to insert a permissions library call
in the middle of login to determine if the person trying to login is
allowed on, based on his login name, tty, and groups.. managed through a
YP map called permissions.. Anyways, I'll be posting that library soon.
 <tdr.

SunOS 4.0.3: /usr/include/vm/as.h, Line 44      | Theo de Raadt
Is it a typo? Should the '_'  be an 's'?? :-)   | deraadt at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
--

SunOS 4.0.3: /usr/include/vm/as.h, Line 44      | Theo de Raadt
Is it a typo? Should the '_'  be an 's'?? :-)   | deraadt at cpsc.ucalgary.ca