launching gl programs from the console wsh

Mark V. Meuer meuer at cs.umn.edu
Wed Jan 30 03:58:54 AEST 1991

In <9660001 at acf3.NYU.EDU> mcqueen at acf3.NYU.EDU (David McQueen) writes:

>For the past two years I have been running graphics programs on our 4D80GT
>(currently Irix 3.3.1) employing the following piece of folklore:

> "never launch a graphics program from the wsh console window"

>(Lest there be any confusion, I mean the window labeled "console" when the
>window manager is running.)

>I refer to this as folklore because I no longer remember the source of this
>advice and cannot find any statement like it in any of TFM. I seem to remember
>reading or being told that launching gl programs from the console could
>render the workstation unusable without a subsequent reboot.

>Lately we have found ourselves having to reboot the workstation frequently
>after users have (I believe) violated the above advice, and I would like to
>know whether that advice is fact or merely folklore. Does any one out there
>have any knowledge/experience/opinion about launching gl programs from the
>console window?

This is news to me.  I do almost all of my work (on Personal Irises or
a 240GTX) from the console window and have never had any problems
starting GL or other programs from it.

>David M. McQueen,Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences,New York University
>--
>Disclaimer:  The above is just my opinion.  God Alone Knows.

>David M. McQueen,Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences,New York University

-mark

Mark Meuer |  Geometry Supercomputer Project  |   meuer at geom.umn.edu
"As part of the program, the dental school will also mandate all faculty,
students and staff to attend training courses on offensive behavior."
					-- The Minnesota Daily, 1/24/91