2 questions (bash and gnu emacs)

Hwa-jin Bae hwajin at sgi.com
Thu Jun 27 10:24:56 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 26 Jun 91 18:08:56 GMT, benson at odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) said:

Benson> 2) when I run gnu emacs -display to my 4D, the bell
Benson> rings very long. xset b does not shorten it. Any hints?

if you're running X version of emacs you can try doing the following
to use "visible bell" instead:

------

(defun bell-off ()
  "Turn off audio bell -- Use visible bell"
  (interactive)
  (if window-system			;if running X
      (x-set-bell t)			;use visible bell
    (setq-default visible-bell t)))	;otherwise, try to use "vb" (flash
					;in terminfo) attribute for your terminal

(bell-off)

-------

the default terminfo entry for wsh doesn't have visible bell capability
specified. (the latest release of OS seems to have xwsh which does support
visible bell).  i ended up hacking emacs source (term.c file)  to turn
the bell off completely.

*hwajin
--
protocol engines, inc.