Preferences = Icon

Dave Schweisguth SCHDAVZ at YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu
Tue Jun 11 03:10:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun7.132321.22511 at odin.corp.sgi.com>, allenb at gewgaw.csd.sgi.com
(Allen M. Buchinski) says:
>In article <9106061543.AA15218 at nrc3d.nrc.uab.edu>, jpg at NRC3D.NRC.UAB.EDU (Jill
>Gemmill) writes:
>|> Is there a way to "iconify" WorkSpace and Console automatically on startup?
>|> (i.e. have them appear on the desktop upon login, but as icons rather than
>|> as open windows).
>
>Workspace should be smart enough to remember what directories you have
>open and whether or not you have them stowed. [etc ...]
>
>To get your console stowed when you login, [etc ...]

There are 'special' ways to stow WorkSpace and Console, but is there a general
way for all processes? To pick a semi-dopey example, how could I start up
'clock' as an icon? (Well, it still works as an icon, so maybe it's not so
dopey.) I _think_ the NeWS 'flipiconic' procedure ought to do it, but I can't
get it to go. This may just be bad syntax on my part or a more general limit
on how NeWS works. Can anyone help?