Manual pages, nroff, makewhatis, and gman

Dave Schweisguth SCHDAVZ at YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu
Fri Jun 14 23:27:00 AEST 1991

Our Personal Iris currently has no 'nroff'; the purchaser didn't realize we
needed it. We've been nroffing things on another local Unix system (a Convex
running Convex Unix). The manpages we nroffed (with -man) look just fine when
displayed by man (aside from having the wrong header line), but aren't
recognized by 'makewhatis' or the database-building utilities that come with
'gman'. All other manpages (those formatted by SGI and one on a Sun) work.
    So, is there something simple in the manpage format we can fix, or is this
too heavily dependent on different flavors of 'nroff'? A possible solution is
to replace the header lines, but this sounds too simple to work; I figured I'd
ask the net first. We're probably going to get 'nroff' eventually, but I'd like
to know what's going on in the meantime. Thanks for any input ...