Dead code elimination with ld?

Rick Braumoeller c184-bp at rhombus.Berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 3 09:29:11 AEST 1991

   I would like to know if there is an option to make the MIPS code
linker 'ld' perform dead-code elimination when linking.  Currently, I
am developing a program that uses the gl library, and a few others,
and the resulting object code is over 800K.

   It's my guess that the linker is just chucking all of the object
code together without checking to see what actually needs to be there,
because I can't imagine I'm using that much of GL.  Our man pages here
are not very reliable, so I can't draw any conclusions from them.

   Can someone "in the know" straighten me out?  I am using version
2.0 of cc and ld.

- Rick Braumoeller
University of California, Berkeley