X terminals, gl terminals

Phil Karlton karlton at fudge.wpd.sgi.com
Sat Jun 1 01:51:11 AEST 1991

In article <1991May30.123330 at crocus.medicine.rochester.edu>,
    ajp2o at crocus.medicine.rochester.edu (Anthony J. Persechini) writes:

    I will soon need another terminal for work on the 4D20G I have.
    I would ideally like something that can be used for both
    dgl and X applications.

The only devices that currently do both X and GL rendering are SGI
workstations.

    I would like to find out what kinds
    of X terminal/dgl terminals are to be recommended for use
    with the 4D.

The closest you could come would be to purchase a diskless workstation.
For a fully competent X implementation, you would be best to wait until
Irix 4.0 is shipping.

    Also, if I set up an X terminal can I connect it
    directly to the 4D somehow? The 4D is currently connected to
    the ethernet, but I would like to avoid the cost of a second
    connection if possible.

X terminals typically come with their own ethernet connections. (The
same would be true of a diskless SGI box.) You do not have to make any
additions to your current hardware.

    I would like to do this for <= $2000, so perhaps I will be limited
    to a monochrome X terminal.

Bitonal (1 bit deep) X terminals will never be able to do GL rendering.

SGI has no current workstations in the $2K range. :-)

PK
--
Standard caveat: I am not an official SGI spokesperson.
Phil Karlton
karlton at sgi.com