Parallel Programming Problem: taskcreate

Bron Campbell Nelson bron at bronze.wpd.sgi.com
Tue Jun 11 08:28:02 AEST 1991

In article <5601 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, cindy at cesdis2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Cindy Starr) writes:

>    After four new processes are created, I receive the following
>    errors:
>
> The taskcreate(1) call failed in parQuicksort.: New share group member pid 9278
> could not join I/O arena. error:No space left on device
>
> The taskcreate(1) call failed in parQuicksort.: No space left on device

>    I found the error message in the man page for "sproc", but still
>    have no idea how to correct the problem.  The man page states:
>
>      New share group member pid # could not join I/O arena. error:<..>
>                     if the new share group member could not properly join the
>                     semaphored libc arena.  The new process exits with a -1.

Well, assuming I understand this (always dangerous :-)), it looks like
you got really really close to the answer here.  The particular error
you are getting is "No space left on device", i.e. an ENOSPC error.
The sproc man page describes this:

     [ENOSPC]       If the size of the share group exceeds the number of users
                    specified via usconfig(3P) (8 by default).  Any changes
                    via usconfig(3P) must be done BEFORE the first sproc is
                    performed.

So a "usconfig(CONF_INITUSERS, big_number)" at the begining of your main
routine might (should) cure the problem.

Bron Campbell Nelson       | "The usual approach is to pick one
Silicon Graphics, Inc.     | of several revolting kludges."
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.    |              Henry Spencer
bron at sgi.com
These statements are my own, not those of Silicon Graphics.